Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Sun Goes Down on Kaavya



Aaron took this gorgeous photograph earlier this spring. I used to think California had sunsetting superiority, but I find that in the spring, Portland, OR has more vibrant color than a Rousseau (Henri) painting. Our camera is average at best, yet it did justice to this moment.

Further revelations about Kaavya Viswanathan sadden me. I have been forced to admit that it seems she deliberately plagiarized, there are just too many coincidences from too many texts. I cannot fathom why someone with so much to look forward to would resort to such blatant plagiarism. Perhaps she felt that splicing from so many sources would cleverly mask her deception ... I don't know. I do know that she is young, and maybe the pressure to produce a manuscript fuzzied her integrity. I feel for her, though. Incidently, if you do access the link above, get a look at some of the comments--this incident has engendered some pretty intense responses.

3 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A story of three Indian born Americans.

Its organized practice to promote children not worth what they are promoted to! If you have two Indian born nerds having MD to practice and earn enough to promote an average child to work with promoters who manage one to success, what do you expect? BTW, everybody coming from India with 4 year college degrees, 2 years masters degree, 12 years of pre-college education and 4 years of non-academic work experience are still 24! I just want to add. It's not 1+1=2. Its creativity we are talking about here. I hope I have been.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Karina said...

Hools that is a stunning sunset. What a great photo (nice one Aaron !!). Living on the west coast (of the US and AUS) means we get the most amazing sunsets. Mine are all stashed in my online photo album if you ever want to take a look.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Karina, I tried to send this to you at the bigpond address, and it came back to me! Send me your new e-mail, and here's what I said:

Hi Karina,



It’s so fun to see your notes on my blog, thanks for continuing to come by! So, I’m wondering if you could send me the link to your blog again, I seem to have “misplaced” it! I recall what a talented photographer you are, and would love to see your pictures. I always think about you when I hear something about Perth.

Hope you are well and happy,

Pamela

 

Post a Comment

<< Home