Monday, March 06, 2006

And I Quote ...

Do you enjoy quotes?

I have no time to construct my own creative product today. All is encroaching—an incomplete Sr. Project, a huge trip that demands my attention and planning, an “ethics bowl” I agreed to participate in which is crushing me!

Here are some quotes I love:

“We are in awe precisely of the human power to frame ideas which cannot be intuited. Imaginatively we stretch out towards what imagination cannot apprehend. We realize that there is more in what we see than meets or can ever meet even the inner eye.” Catherine Warnock (literary critic)

“Reason is to imagination … as the shadow to the substance.” Percy Bysshe
Shelley

“This spiritual love acts not, nor can exist/ Without imagination, which in truth/ Is but another name for agbsolute power/ And clearest insight, amplitude of mind, And reason in her most exalted mood.” Wordsworth (Prelude)

“Poetic testimony reveals to us another world inside this world, the other world that is this world. The senses, without losing their powers, become servants of the imagination and let us hear the inaudible and see the invisible. … The senses are and are not of this world. By means of tehm, poetry traces a bridge between seeing and believing. By that bridge, imagination is embodied and bodies turn into images.” Octavio Paz (The Double Flame)

And then just some beautiful quotes from Brokeback Mountain:

“There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk’s back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plan below, suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from tame ranch dogs barking in the dark hours.” Annie Proulx

”The mountain boiled with demonic energy, glazed with flickering broken-cloud light, the wind combed the grass and drew from the damaged krummholz and slit rock a bestial drone. As they descended the slope Ennis felt he was in a slow-motion, but headlong, irreversible fall.” Annie Proulx

1 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

I bow down in utter admiration to anyone who has completed a dissertation, as completing my Sr. Thesis (an attempt to identify the borderland Cyborg of Donna Haraway's Cyborg Manifesto in the space of blogging), has proven to be the most daunting task I've ever encountered. At this juncture one finds their brain wrung out like laundry hanging on a line! I can only imagine ...

What was the focus of your dissertation?

It's always a joy to run across fellow Tigers (our Chinese year), and to recognize that I'm not the only one re-invigorated by the pursuit of a higher education. I'd love to hear more about you, and about the favorite books and films that we had in common. I could fill my profile with twice the favorites I've named--there's so much good stuff floating out there.

I've just finished Deborah Eisenberg's new short story collection, Twilight of the Superheros, and it's my new favorite.

Please drop by again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home