Monday, January 09, 2006

Aspirations

No real time tonight. I've begun a post about the Hilton sisters, but then I realized as culturally symptomatic as they are, they remain too boring to really talk about.

Instead, I decided to share a wonderful E.M. Forster quote from Howard's End (not really a favorite novel of mine, but sublime writing nonetheless), a quote which has resonated in me through the years--a quality I often try to aspire to when I imagine myself from attempted objectivity (the me I try to fantasize myself into):

"Away she hurried, not beautiful, not supremely brilliant, but filled with something that took the place of both qualities -- something best described as a profound vivacity, a continual and sincere response to all that she encountered in her path through life."

P.S. Is anyone else out there listening to Damien Rice? Blower's Daughter and Cold Water are my current musical obsessions.

I'm sure I'll have much to say and not enough time to say it in the coming weeks--but I will try! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home