Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Absent But Definitely Not Gone

Just in case there is anyone out in the universe that pays some mind to my little weblog, I'm popping in to say, don't despair! I'm not gone, just missing and definitely in action. Classes have been demanding, and there are decisions and preparations for graduation and the subsequent grad school trajectory, and there's this big sojourn to Europe next summer ...

I was born in Berlin, Germany. Therefore I'm very interested in going back there and learning something about myself. My mother's family can be traced back there at least 6 generations--can you imagine, 6 generations in the same city! In the next few months, I suppose you'll see a lot about my upcoming trip--7 whole weeks on the European continent, I'm hoping I'll find fodder for many interesting stories.


I'm in search mode these days, a deep existential search that has been prompted by such foundational thinkers as Freud and Lacan, and some new folks like Eric Santner and Todd McGowan. Generally I'm suspicious of all these thinkers coming from one gender, but in this line of inquiry it's OK. I'm interested in generational legacies, master signifiers, and the concept of genetic memory and collective trauma. I'm interested in understanding the repetitive nature of societal mishaps.

So you can see, I'm not just out here kicking it up and partying. I'm working people! I'm attempting to become interesting enough to have something to say, something to write.


So, please don't give up on me--I'll be back.

2 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pam, I found you this afternoon after finishing our paper due today...and just for fun I googled Eric Santner in thier blog search, and you came up first. Although I'm definitely not surprised! I likewise am deeply impacted by the Santner and McGowan and yet unable to form conclusions or decide even. More so, it's like adapting to a different language where one listens much more than they speak. Anyway, see you in class tonight...

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam, I heard you were planning a trip. This sounds so exciting. I'm sure you'll get plenty of writing inspiration from the trip. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home