Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Mythological Madness

So who likes mythology? Until recently I rather ignored it. But my professor's ebullent engagement of the irony and humor in mythology has drawn me into this genre. The interplay between god and man, monsters and culture, subterfuge and transformation is fascinating, as is the insight I now have into the story behind all those classical references we find in texts through time. I think I would be a better Christian if monotheism involved some of the divine interaction with humans we see in mythology!

Dante's Inferno would have had deeper resonance for me with a better mythological base. The site I linked to for The Inferno is an excellent source with some compelling graphics, check it out if you're a fan.

Classical Greek myth reminds me of hypertext in the sense that it is extremely interconnected and "incestuous." Additionally it has this sense of strange digression. Take, for instance, Achilles. One can conjure Achilles (think of marble statue or Brad Pitt, whatever floats your boat), and find a world of connections. The link I've added is a wonderful page fully conveying the digressions that can result from curiosity about Achilles. Note the excessive hyperlinking toward the bottom of this Achilles page, and also the vivid, passionate artistic representations. Is your Achilles a baby being dipped by his vulnerable heel, as Creti depicts in his painting, or is he a Hollywood movie adonis carefully cultivated to fulfill a consumer image. I tried to upload a picture directly into this post, but alas! it did not work.

At any rate, from Aphrodite to Dionysus to Odysseus to Poseidon, these gods are good fun. Feel free to share you favorite myth ...

4 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Emily said...

I rather like Hindu mythology myself. I grew up well-acquainted with the Upanishads, Bhagavad-Gita, and Rig Veda. Fascinating stories.

If you're into mythology, check out the Encyclopedia Mythica. It's exhaustive and tons of fun to crawl through!

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Emily, I am completely unfamilair with Hindu mythology, but recently find myself very drawn to the culture of the Far East. Next time we meet we'll have to have a conversation about it. Thank you for the links, I've bookmarked Encyclopedia Mythica, a wonderful site, and will check out the stories now that I have dropped the one and only "horrible" college course I've ever had, and have some extra time! :-) It was bound to happen I guess!

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pamela,

The template that you (and Carrie) chose is really beautiful. Even though it is hypertext, it feels restful. Great start here, especially as you build your link column. It seems you have found a better type color as the last post is far easier to read. Also, the title is a wonderful one, would that you or I had thought of it and written that story.
I think the blogosphere may be a great environment for you--a way to connect diverse ideas on literature, politics, writing, the environment. Despite this range of interests, there is a sense of authorial unity to the posts and the site thus far.

Great start.
Meg

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would highly recommend you pick up Joseph Campbell/Bill Moyers "The Power of Myth" it was a PBS series and I loved it, you can rent to DVD from library and buy the book. I am enjoying your website...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home